POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spline settings to clock correspondence : Re: spline settings to clock correspondence Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: spline settings to clock correspondence
From: hughes, b
Date: 2 Oct 2002 20:17:56
Message: <3d9b8cb4@news.povray.org>
If it is clock 0 to 1, yes, but also the first and last points of a cubic
spline are control points so those aren't actually placed.

Linear spline would truncate to 0 to 1 too, for a clock 0 to 1 but of course
that is settable from INI file or command line to other numbers (negatives?
I haven't used clock -1 to 1 so don't know). Even though that is a "time"
value it could be a different variable instead, in which case the values are
based on that.

spline (TimeVariable)

Oops, you know what? I wanted to double-check and found that the example in
the Doc, section 6.1.9 Spline Identifiers, disallows the following change:

#declare MySpline =
  spline {
    cubic_spline
    -.5, <0,0,-1>
    -.25, <0,0,-1> // error occurs
    0.00, <1,0,0>
    0.25, <0,0,1>
    0.50, <-1,0,0>
    0.75, <0,0,-1>
    1.00, <1,0,0>
    1.25, <0,0,1>
    1.5, <0,0,1>
  }

Reason...? The negative sign of the second time value. The vectors need
commas after them to prevent an error, otherwise all is fine it seems. An
unfortunate oversight of the Doc or simply missed previously.